Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Optimism is good...

… and it is the bedrock of my outlook and personality. However, regardless of how I may want to perceive and conduct my affairs I must accept reality when it rears its ugly head sometimes.

I last reported my record was 5-2. Giving my readership something to look forward to, I predicted I would finish the season strong. That did not happen.

I did win my next match, but I was not even close to my usual playing form and played someone that could never ever beat me. Cool – now I was 6-2 and things were looking good. I have shook off the Carlos incident and put two more wins under my belt.

A week after my second straight win, I played three matches and lost them all within 36 hours of each other. I'll comment in detail on the first match and give the outline on the others!

I played an opponent I beat last season, but again I was not close to my normal playing level. (I will get to that shortly.) I can beat this player, but I dropped the first game 15-13. I came back in game two and won 15-14. This is the part that will bother me for a while... a league rule I was not aware of until this match just killed me. To be honest, it is just another rationalization I came up with to compensate for my playing shortcomings!!

I opened up the match with the serve. I won that privilege by hitting a lob shot closest to the short line. Every league match starts this way and I love my serve as an opening welcome for the opponent. I work pretty hard to get this lob almost every match. In my head, I also thought I got the benefit of serving game three. The tie breaker game is needed if players split the first two games of the match. Well, up until this point I guess I never had this problem or people were as clueless as I was on this day. The rule in league play is simple. The player with the most cumulative points of game one and two gets the serve in game three. I was short one point and psychologically I was ready to open game three up 4-5 points as is the custom when I get the serve! I was even in the box ready to serve when he informed me. I shook it off and opened the game down 3 points. (I know – I know - nice way to shake that off!!) After a pretty good game three I lost 11-9. I was really pissed for two reasons. #1) I could beat that guy and did not. #2) I purposefully did not play at 100% since I had back to back matches. I should have taken game one when I had a chance and this third game would have never have even come up.

I do not know why I approached that game thinking I could play half ass and still win. I never schedule back to back games since I am not the kind of player that can do that. I play my game… it takes about an hour (usually) and if I play another game for fun great… I do not have to be concerned with my energy level.

My second match was versus someone I have never played before in singles. I have played them in doubles and cut-throat (3 player game) and won easily or outplayed them. I really figured I could pull a back to back off and come out okay. I thought entirely too much!

To my opponent's credit, SHE played a great game. She watched my loss vs. my first opponent and saw a couple of things to press in our game. To her credit… she pressed them very well. #1 almost as if she planned it, she deliberately made me run, which I did because I wanted to win and get it over with. In hindsight I was masterful… and like a little wooden puppet I ran. She hit shots that were never intended to gain a point; unless I chose not to run after them… when I did I easily put them away. I took game one 15-7. I won the game but lost the war. As if I hit a brick wall, I could not play at any level after that. The tactic of hitting the shots away from me worked extremely well in game two. When ever I got the box I got my points, but I just never got to the box much. I dropped game two 15-5. Yes, I lost my chance to open up game three, but she was also dead tired. (No – she did not play an earlier match, but who cares at this point.) I could not beat a child in that third game. I was taken out, by a woman, 11-4. I was beside myself and I have not been able to remedy it. I had to play the next day and lost in straight game 41-5.

Why: I do not play regularly anymore. I have not played regularly in 8 weeks. When you are not in the best of shape, you cannot afford to layoff and return to form quickly. I am not compensating for my lack of play time with anything… which is also not very good.

I need to get to the gym when I can… if there is nobody to play then I need to go work out on the treadmill or bike. If I do not do those things… then I will be going backwards in skill.

Incidentally, my overall lack of time has affected a couple of other things… I get home for work and after the kids and the house are done… the Mrs. And I crash. I have been going to sleep closer to 9 pm. I do not play my beloved Xbox anymore or at least consistently, nor WoW, or really anything. It is a sad time for us, but the summer is getting to everyone. The kids have so much energy and without school to drain them of it… we are left with task. I am not complaining about this… as I love this part of my job! I think this is all related… I need to increase my exercise to increase my energy level! That will start now.

P.S. I have a chance to get even with everyone in the tournament. That starts in September, so no excuses if I start increasing my exercise today!

3 comments:

PassTheChips said...

I have a great plan for you. Be forewarned however. Side effects can include fecal matter that consists solely of blood and mucous for a few days.

It's Not Your Fault! said...

I'll take it. Although, I do not think I will have the same byproduct... I will take the tips as provided. Especially if it is something tangible. I like directions that allow no room for thinking.

John said...

You're playing raquetball like it is one of your fantasy sports. You have one month until tournament time to totally redeem yourself.