My doubles partner and I were handed 3rd place. I took second place in Men's D. The whole weekend was a huge dissappointment. The best part, other then my final's match was learning and completing my officiating skills. It is one thing to know 95% of the rules, but making the calls and sticking to them was somewhat of a challenge. I'll get in that towards the end.
Men's D doubles was folded into Men's C and D due to the overall low turn out of players. We arrived late on Saturday and got ready to play our match. We were set to play a level B pair. (Oh great!) However, one of the players is a known jerk with a history of talking a great game and backing up very little of it. I thought he was playing with someone similar to his skill, but that was not the case. The loud mouth jerk who truly did not belong with his partner (skill wise) took my and my teammate through a clinic of how to delay, disrupt, and ultimately ruin a racquetball experience. This was, afterall, our first doubles match competitively. There were a total of 10 doubles teams and we were confident that we were going to lose... the question was when!! :)
Within 30 seconds of the start of our match, Andy was yelled at by the better of the two opponents. Apparently, you cannot communicate with your doubles partner! That is great. First off, we learned a new rule. Second, it is a stupid rule which contradicts how we play and almost everyone we know and have played with. By calling out to your partner, cover front or watch the pinch we are speaking what is obviously well know and obvious to all. So the rule states basically not to say it - for those same reasons. If everyone knows... shut up about it.
Shortly there after, we found ourselves in violation of a half dozen more soft rules rarely called in a gentlemens game of racquetball. Clearing out for a shot to provide both a cross court pinch and same side court passing shot. We cleared, but not enough for the two players who call it all - not to call it! Down 5-0 and on our way to a 15-2 loss Andy and I were completely unprepared for this onslaught of rules and sportsmanship. The loud mouth jerk nobody likes hit 5% of the shots and did 95% of the talking which is really annoying.
Serivce: I was not served the ball except for 3-4 times in two games. (yes we lost in straigt games) Apprently, the gentlemen's accord to not serve in front of your partner for fear that they may be hit was an agreement these two felt completely at home with breaking. Although I will not admit intent, we never hit them with our return serve.
The first game went quick. The second game we showed we could hold our own. I got several 35-40 ft kills shots, which is truly my role in doubles patrolling the back court. In the end, we did not have our best game and we were playing a superior doubles team in both experience and shot selection.
41-15 was the match result. We were dropped into the third place bracket. Every team in that bracket either did not show or was injured so we won by default. This was not pleasing as we wanted to play more.
My singles matches were equally dissappointing but for different reasons. Entering the tourney I consulted with the director that knows my play well for placement purposes. (That will be the last time I do that.) She said go with Men's D. So I did and so did Andy.
My first game dropped due to injury. Andy claims I would have creamed him as Andy slaughters him.
My second game I defeated a 10-12 year old who barely could return any shot.
My third game I defeated a 75 yeard old man who was dead tired from playing Andy two hours earlier. He barely put up a fight.
My final match was vs Andy. We play all the time and know each other well. Let me just say I have a 12-4 lead and lost the game and match soon after. Andy took the game and match from me and I did not seem to have a way to stop it. Good match.... terrible tourney... will go to another, but never back to the Green and Gold at South Floriday University. I did not get any of the other benefits either... no food / drinks were never available. Although the tourney Director was new... my expectations were set prior to attending.
Mommy loves Mason
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment