Monday, July 14, 2008

The New Arrival

I was in the shower finishing off on my morning routine, when Debra comes in and says. "Mike, OMGosh, we have a little brown rodent in the guinea pigs cage."

I can tell you this... one way to have an interesting morning is to hear that statement. I dry off get my robe and walk over to the other side of the house.

Sure enough, there is a small little brown rodent in the cage. No tail... no mouse looking ears... I know how gross to see a mouse... but here is my thought process.

The first guinea pig passes away shortly after Christmas. Saint Nic brought him so I searched high and low for a jet black replacement. Located him... but him was a her. We had a him, but the vet said the kids will never know. We converted in name only Timathena to Timothy. No big deal. Several weeks later, we decided to get a second GP. The first pet store I go into had a jet black GP. Smaller - just out of babyhood, but would work. I bought a girl. I asked the pet shop to double check. I purchased went home... got on the Internet... doubled checked how to check. I checked the pig "named Austin" even though we knew it was really Austina. Two boys... makes it consistent for the kids. All we needed was a new baby or even that conversation to surface. We thought we were so smart! For those not following... we have 2 girls before yesterday.

Ok. Two girls yesterday... and now a baby. Hmmmmm... Unless the Wonder pets GP arrived and jumped our pigs.... WTF is going on.

Ok. At this point, I guessed the pet shop and I were wrong in our sex assessment. I bought a dude and he jumped Timothena. I can handle that. Mistake. It can be fixed.

Problem.

#2 GP - Austin (remember really Austina) is nursing the new arrival. #1 GP - Timothy (remember Timothena) is brushing off the new arrival. Internet says... mom will nurse all other pigs will naturally push off so mom and baby hook up. In some cases, the large GP will consume babies... please do not go there. But that is what the Internet said.

I have one Vet sexed pet. GP #1. We have an obvious scientific fact GP #2 is a girl. How the heck did we have a baby.

Internet.... gestation takes just about as long as we have had GP #2. We bought a knocked up pig. I did not purchase a little slut. I did not ask her to be heavy one kid. But, we have one now... and there is no turning back.

We have a trip to the vet scheduled for Friday. The new arrival is doing well. Our big problem will be the sex of the new arrival. If it is male... Internet says some sick stuff about a full grown male GP's. There is one for sure... but even if it is Mom... - no matter. Well lets just say.... that will be avoided but at a cost to me. Not happy, I will be, knowing I could buy a third chick for 39 instead of a surgery will be much more than that!

3 comments:

PassTheChips said...

Uh, that's disgusting.

Brian said...

Time for a new post. Every time I come to this page I read "I was in the shower finishing off on my morning routine" and feel like I need to wash my eyes out with soap.

It's Not Your Fault! said...

You are right - new post it is.