Monday, May 21, 2007

Chromehounds gets dusted off...


Last night was the first time in a very long time I played this game and really enjoyed the experience. The only bad aspect of the night was playing late, which consequently forced me to end my fun early and get some sleep.

Many months ago when I played this game with my new 360, the crew (Twiki / Bubba (field Generals) and myself) played mostly humans but occasionally computers. Chromehounds, for those that do not know, is a live xbox 360 game based on mechanized or robotic like machines in total war scenarios. To achieve victory a team, or a solo mech, only needs to defeat the opponents or their base. In addition, a team could win if time runs out and control of the communications network was in your favor. The strategy and time needed to be proficient at this game is considerable, but if one puts in the time the game play is very good.

In recent weeks, Bubba and Twiki have been doing considerable homework increasing our squad size. Recruiting players that will put the time needed to be successful is easier said then done, but results are tangible at this point. We have six players in our squad and if we can get some people off the fence, then we could have as many as nine. Another aspect of what it takes to be a field General (FG) is also focused on creating a Chromehound or mech that will be durable, fast, and when put to the test accurately lethal! It could also be effective to build a squad with specific strengths that fights well as a team. A team full of M1A1 US tanks, for example would be pretty lethal until a team with an Apache tank killer came along. You get my drift, since a team blended in a host of capabilities should prevail - as long as you can kill effectively. The last part is actually not as important as you would think. FG's role in addition to getting the game going is battle tactics and strategy. Within that aspect, FG's need soldiers to do their job, hence the challenge of this game. I am not a very good soldier, but if needed I can execute orders. I like to play fast and loose, which sometimes means I am caught in an isolated battle without advantage. Sometimes I do my thing and get the kills needed to make the game easy to win, but more often I get crippled or worse killed turning the momentum over to our opponents. Such is life when you role with Grizzley, but a FG usually can count on me doing the power move successfully.

Getting back on point, last night we played, like I said, for the first time in a while. We had four mechs rolling, which was a first for me, and it was a lot of fun. I almost like my support role as much as my wild and wreck less solo approach. If we blend our capabilities and fight as a team, I do not think we will have too much trouble winning the war on our terms. With that said, we do have a bunch of newbies... so Bubba - Twiki and I just can't miss that often until these noobs get up and running.

I think I may put SCDA on the shelf for the time being... that or get my copy of SC II as soon as it comes out.

3 comments:

Brian said...

You forgot to mention the part where you'd get mixed up and try to kill Twiki and I, and we'd have to put you down like Old Yeller.

Bubba

Justin said...

Glad I could double your readership! I'm not much of a blogger/blog reader so don't expected much from me; not that you do anyway.

It's Not Your Fault! said...

C'mon now... I have known you for a great many years. The days of playful (nothing more) pot shots are long gone.

You may not be on Bubba level, few are, but you are certainly called friend. You better make this a must read... as I may include specific comments meant for you and you alone. I have been known to be full of trickery... and if you do not read... then you will never know!