Saturday, January 10, 2009

Follow Up... our blonde blue eyed girl!

A few weeks ago we posted about Novatana and her learning challenges. To our surprise, we received a generous and unexpected response from educators that can offer information and experience to us for breaking through the block. As with any good advice, taking it scared the crap out of us. I could not even begin to describe why... the point it is... it just did.

Debra and I have not forgotten and know those offers are still on the table. We were generally pretty weak with our response, but that again is just a signal of how much this is impacting the family on a personal level.

I do that often... and it is a flaw I need to work on. I am quite excellent at coming out and saying there is an issue and in so doing asking for help... yet when the help is presented... I am unable to take advantage with good consistency. One of the greatest areas of balance between Debra and I is her excellent sense of getting the ball rolling. Together we are very well suited. However, when something is very personal and sensitive to both of us... a complete break down ensues. We are rarely presented with such obstacles, so to be honest I am a bit shocked with my lack of respect for those that offer so much.

I need to do a better job of identifying help from those that are trusted and respected... and take action.

Brian - you are solid gold in our eyes. You read and identified your families particular expertise and you tried to connect the dots. We are moving towards being more open and honest with ourselves. From there, Debra and I feel we can be genuine and accepting of gifts that come in all forms. Your parents are amazing individuals. I stand to benefit from their experience and education. I just wanted to say thank you. You are a great friend.

Nova update: Improvement across the board, but still considered failing by school accounts.

- My mother started a reading program.
- My sister is an ESP teacher (I want to say special ed, but it does not mean that.) She will be sitting in the classroom and offering Nova some special 1/1 tutoring to help break through.
- We are considering taking steps with the school psychologist. (Long story... but one that needs to be evaluated (everyone that needs to know already knows we are limited due to some legal issues of the past.))
- Debra and I are trying to behave as though we are not personally failing, which is putting unneeded and unwanted pressure on Novatana.
- The family is taking baby steps towards reform by changing some communication methods.
- The kids are still going to get hell from me when they disrespect Debra... that will never change, but they are all maintaining a self-preservation instinct by not disrespecting me. A wise person told me to let Debra fend for herself to fix the kids constant challenges... that is just too hard for me to do, but I am trying. As it turns out... the venom that flows from Debra is much more potent than anything I would consider dishing out... the kids better beware.

4 comments:

JamieLynn said...

Good luck with everything. We personally know what it feels like to have to make big decisions about the direction you think your childs education should take. There is a lot of information out there on every area where a child can fall behind. The difficult thing is deciding what of the info you are hearing will best suit YOUR child. You as parents are best suited to make those decisions.

Thanks for sharing. It is tough to admit that your child is struggling. Please let us know if we can do anything.

Hope you had a great time camping!

JamieLynn said...

Hang in there. I don't think this is about blame to parents or kids, it is just life and how we deal with the opportunities God has given us.

You are amazing parents.

PS- Florida business trips are back in the equation. I'll let you know when I am down.

JamieLynn said...

First post- Jamie

Second post - John (forgot to log in)

Bubba the Hutt said...

Pausing is understandable, the entire thing can be quite overwhelming. The natural thing to do is take a step back and hope that it resolves itself.

If that doesn't look like it'll happen, I hope the feedback my parents provided will be helpful.