Thursday, June 21, 2007

3-0

I'm off to a good start, but I am not playing as well as my last season.



I consider myself to be in a solid position as I head into the toughest part of my schedule. Obviously, if I go undefeated over my next three games, then I will be in great shape to win the division and possibly go 11-0. However, I will be quite happy taking 2 of 3.



One opponent that is busting up the league and is 4-0 thus far. He is certainly placed wrong according to those that have played and lost to him. Let me explain what I mean in saying placed wrong. New players are tried out by various players during trials to determine thier skill level at the start of the season. Based on the account of those that played him so far, he is too good for purple. I think this is a blessing. I have asked if they think I could beat him and most have said, not sure but I would like to watch the game. He has a playing style like mine - powershots and good tactics. Even though I have played a level below my normal game intensity and all my matches lasted longer than they needed to, I am looking forward to the contest with Mr. 4-0 and in the next three weeks we will see where I stand versus him.



I played a lefty last night and it was very interesting. We had opposite strengths and weaknesses. His back hand was strong. I kept busting him to his forehand and saw no reason to stop. He busted my back hand I did a better job of compensating, but the big difference was the service line.



I had a total of 17 aces. That is just killer. I can't recall a game where that many of my points came off serve. With that said, it also should highlight just how poorly I was playing if the matches came out like this:

15-5

9-15

11-6

in my favor.



I hit this guy with 7 shots as he crowded the middle a great deal. By the looks of him, one would think he could crush the ball. Seriously, he had the biggest chest I have seen on a racquetball player - ever. He could probably bench press 400 pounds without sweating much. My sense is all that muscle gets in the way of his swing - just like female golfers and their obstacles to a perfect swing. Several times during the match we got awfully close, due to this lack of movement and my poor game play and he just moved me around the court. This is not easy to do, I must confess. I am not in athletic shape despite my active lifestyle. I am usually the one conducting how my opponent moves and to be more specific move around my court presence. I felt a bit uneasy most of the game as I was pushed around the court. I certainly did not want to hit this fellow once let alone seven times! I laughed out loud several times, as did the audience that happen to see me beam his most holy of areas twice with 35-37 foot shots off the back wall. After those very nice gifts, you would think one would make an adjustment... you think?



My opponent certainly made an adjustment... instead of moving and giving me the required straight shot and one of the corners, he simply put his hand behind him to block his most sacred of regions... I messed several shots up laughing out loud about those nifty moves. As I turned to the audience, I could see several people pointing and laughing... it was quite the comic show. Now when I say audience, I really mean other players passing by, waiting for a match, or people that just happen to be there whenever one looks outside the court. I doubt very much they were watching the match. My games are rarely that exciting. I watch several matches a week at the Gold level (5 above my current level) to pick up shots and tactics in a game.



One last note on the match from yesterday, for the fourth time in my recent racquetball revival I have failed to stop the hemraging and come back to take the game from a lesser opponent. Yesterday I fell down 8-0 in the second game. I successfully implemented my time out strategy and took two of my three TO's over the next couple of service breaks and stop his momentum. I climbed back in the game down 8-6, but could not sustain it. I eventually fell down 11-9, 12-9, several service exchanges (no aces - which would have been useful) and no points and lost 9-15. Even though I lost the game I figured out what I would do in the tie breaker... slam his forehand and make him beat me with quality shots. That task was not equaled by my opponent.

2 comments:

John said...

Are there more levels in W of W or your raquetball league. Do you have midgets instead of elves?

PassTheChips said...

When do they give you a Helmet of Truth? I got mine in WoW two days ago.