Or the number of calories your body needs to burn every day at rest. To clarify, at rest means sitting all day like a couch potato. Anything less than your daily calorie intake needed for maintenance of your RMR is considered unhealthy, as you body will think it is a starvation period and horde fat. However, if you take in less calories than your desired RMR level coupled with specific exercise requirements you can stay in a weight loss zone.
That is where I am at. Since 1/3 I have been chugging along at 2k per day. Prior to 1/3, my intake was in the neighborhood of 5k-6k daily with similar although not nearly as regular exercise program. Clearly, I'm adding a couple of things to assist in the life style change, but for all intents and purposes... if I was not as active as I am... with those lofty calorie inputs... I'd be even bigger. Possibly.... Walter Hudson bigger.
Age: check
Gender: check
Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 314 (down from 330 on 1/3/2008)
Goal Weight: 195
BMI: 39.3
RMR: 2794 Cals
Maintenance Zone: 2794 - 3631
Weight Loss Zone: 2236 to 2794
Medically Supervised Zone: 0-2236
Like I said, I was chugging along at 2k and most days under that... still 16 pounds in a week in 2 days is a bit extreme, but several others things stopped and started in the same time frame. Here are some details:
- Stairs vs Elevator - 4 story building and I work on the top floor. I take then up and down 4-5 times a day. Every day.
- Bag the lunch - SAC is so wonderful as she has volunteered to put in the bag what I need... all I have to do is eat it. I do so outside via the stairs... working very well as I like the outdoor sun to bask in.
- Racquetball: Status quo... but I have been gently pushing my output level on each play. (Push myself to cover the court on shots I know I normally do not move for... still for the extra effort and to see how far I am from getting to those elusive shots.)
- Weight Training: Baby steps, my circuit includes triceps (universal), bench press (free weights), bicep curls (free weights), butterfly (universal), Lats (both front and back), and military press (free weights). This will be constantly mixed up in terms of machine or free weights also the way the muscle group is targeted. For all of these now, I am using an entry weight over four sets of ten reps with the final set covering as many reps as I can complete. In some cases, that is 20 reps especially on muscle groups I use for racquetball. Eventually, the weight will be increased in 10% - 12% intervals approximately 3 weeks apart. My target weight for bench press is 245 or 25% more than my target weight goal. I can pop 135 for a max press, but work with 85 pounds for set and rep goals. I have never worked with weights in my prior 34 years. I was pretty shocked with just how little I can sling under high rep/set intensity.
- Cardio... taking a bit of a backseat since I am playing racquetball, I am going to start to incorporate a walk of 30 mins... broken up or all at once. Again.. baby steps.
See you soon.
3 comments:
You go sexy beast. Best thing to do to obtain a goal is tell people about it. I'm with you all the way.
If you want good cardio but low impact do the Eliptical machine. It's hard to get the hang of at first because the mechanics are a little different, but it's nice because it's little or no impact on the knees.
Another good one is the rowing machine, keeps the heart rate up while working the whole body with smooth repetition.
And breaststroke. Like a frog baby, like a frog.
Post a Comment